Smart Cities Strategies
Cities need to differentiate themselves to attract investment and productive residents, and this, coupled with constrained financial resources, fast-growing populations, and aging infrastructures, is driving investment in smart city solutions. Smart city solutions leverage ICT not only to deliver higher-quality citizen services more efficiently but also to effect behavior change in government workers, city businesses, and citizens so cities can develop more sustainably. IDC Government Insights' Smart Cities Strategies research analyzes the role of ICT in improving citizen services in public safety, transportation, and public works; in fostering innovation and civic engagement; and in building successful models for the evolution of a smart city. IDC Government Insights' global team of analysts provides best practice case studies and objective third-party assessments of smart city solution providers.
The Smart Cities Strategies research advisory service analyzes how cities and local governments are leveraging technology to improve city operations and better serve citizens. The program also profiles the vendors that are partnering with government to deliver these services. The continuing evolution of public/private/academic/citizen partnerships and the use of innovative technologies to create smart city ecosystems are covered in detail.
Throughout the year, this service will address the following topics:
- Smart city profiles from the United States, Europe, and Asia/Pacific that highlight strategies, vendors, and the execution of smart technologies and services implementations
- Public safety including the development of the integrated, real-time crime center as well as predictive disaster management and NextGen 911 initiatives
- Public works and transportation including 511 systems, advanced parking management, and infrastructure/asset management
- Citizen engagement and the social city including 311 systems, mobile app strategies, and tools for IT innovation
- Vendors in the smart city landscape
Key Questions Answered
Our research addresses the following issues that are critical to your success:
- Which cities are evolving and implementing smart city strategies by rationalizing and leveraging existing infrastructure and "smart" technologies across priority government operations and programs?
- What policies are driving collaborative integrated investments, and how will they influence smart city development in the years ahead? What is the most effective department to move cities toward collaboration across silos? How is an effective smart city process formed, and what group(s) should participate in and/or oversee these initiatives?
- Which innovative technology initiatives are causing significant shifts in the ways local and regional governments conduct business, and how will these technologies change their strategic plans? How are risk, innovation, and transformation managed?
- Who are the ICT solution providers that are facilitating smart city evolution?
- What is the business ROI of smart city initiatives? How can "soft" benefits be measured?
- How are smart cities sustained? How do cities maintain citizen engagement in the projects and maintain sustainable behaviors? How is a smart city culture created and institutionalized so that it can be sustained as elected officials and political regimes change?
Who Should Subscribe
Government ICT and business planners, technology buyers, and program leaders who are seeking to understand how to strategically invest in and deliver technologies and solutions to create smart city ecosystems.
Return on Research Investment
- Improve strategic IT decisions by focusing on the total value of IT solutions and desired business outcomes
- Leverage partnerships with public and private shared service providers through profiling vendor best practices based on government-centric criteria
- Deploy solutions with a higher confidence of success in meeting critical initiatives through fact-based research and independent ranking of IT solution providers
- Create partnering strategies by better understanding government needs and priorities used by regional and local governments
- Fine-tune strategic plans by understanding technology innovations and outcomes used by government
- Learn how solution providers score on criteria relating to ROI, risk, transformation, innovation, and execution of technology services implementations in ProveIT case studies
Standard Subscription Deliverables
IDC Government Insights values building client relationships and strives to foster a partnership with each client through continuous analyst interaction; timely delivery of current, concise, and relevant research; as well as custom research when needed. Each advisory service delivers strategic research covering business and technology issues. A summary of the basic service deliverables available to subscribers includes the following:
- Analyst inquiry time specific to the advisory service area (some restrictions apply)
- 24 x 7 research access via www.idc-gi.com
- Discounted admission to specific IDC Government Insights or IDC conferences
- Complimentary forum invitations (Web conferences, industry briefings)
Join Our Community
Our IDC Insights Community is designed to enable technology buyers to engage with our industry analysts, share knowledge and best practices, and connect with colleagues. To participate in our community, members create a profile to:
- Participate in our discussions in our blogs, forums, and polls
- Learn about and share best practices, tips, tricks, and tools related to business/technology alignment
- Network with colleagues and join groups within each industry
- Provide feedback to IDC's industry analysts and hear what we're up to
Visit us at: http://idc-insights-community.com and join our conversations.
Related offerings to our industry-specific research practices include IT Spending Guides — segmented regional and country-level analysis by solution area; Go-to-Market Services (GMS) — a modular set of deliverables to assist clients in extending their market reach, validating their market strategy, and producing more responsive customer-centric marketing campaigns; and IDC Advisory Tools — a growing set of solutions designed to ensure clients that technology purchasing and deployment decisions are optimized. In addition, IDC Government Insights experts are available for individualized consulting engagements to address specific challenges or to customize the results of our syndicated research offerings.